Sunday, August 16, 2015

Homeschool with limited space



I can't help but be a little bit jealous when I see people with dedicated homeschool rooms! Right now we use our dining room table. Also considering turning our Garage into a playroom/home school room.

Since our move, things just haven't been the same with the homeschooling. Chloe's old room was much larger which allowed for her dedicated space (below)



Being on the dining room table limits the freedom she has as it has been impossible to set up "Stations" to go along with the Mother Goose Time curriculum. That is for sure one thing that is making me lean towards converting the garage!



I do try to make due with what we have and make sure she does feel like she has some freedom to choose. We have baskets set up around the house - arts, manipulative, play pretend, and she is always welcomed to use the computer for educational games. 

This is where Mother Goose Time fits right into our lives - it offers so many options, and I can do as many or as little of the suggested activities as I can in a day and still feel like we got something done!



Even during our "school time" I take cues from her and sometimes adjust my plan for the day to fit her mood. There are times she doesn't really want to practice her writing and others were she just isn't into the craft. I do try to give her as much freedom while maintaining a level of structure that I feel is important. Although she might have a choice of activity she does not have a choice to not do anything at all.



Since our schedule varies due to work, being flexible has been the best option for us. I learned a long time ago that trying to stay on a super strict schedule will only lead to feeling of failure for me. I try to do every single activity every day and letting go was hard, and sometimes I still struggle with it but we are adjusting and learning together.

Hopefully by our September curriculum, our homeschool room will be set and ready to go! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment